On March 18, 2008, the Keller City Council approved Ordinance No. 1408 amending the City of Keller Code of Ordinances by amending Chapter 13, titled "Peddlers, Solicitors, and Itinerant Merchants," otherwise known as our Solicitor's Permit Ordinance.
The following amendments, needed to address the safety and welfare concerns of our citizens as well as bringing the ordinance up to date with current law and practices, became effective on Thursday, April 3, 2008.
Listed below are highlights of the amendments to the current ordinance:
- All solicitor permit processing will be handled by the Keller Police Department
- A fee of $65 will be charged to conduct a criminal background check on the permit applicant by the police department
- Days and hours of operation for solicitors going door-to-door will only be allowed from Monday through Saturday during the hours of 9 a.m. to dusk (30 minutes after sunset). No solicitation will be allowed on Sundays, federally designated holidays or on any day declared as an "Orange" or "Red" State of Alert by the Department of Homeland Security
- Door-to-door solicitors cannot knock on the door of any residence that has a "No Solicitors" notice posted. (Free notices are available for Keller residents at the Keller Police Facility, located at 330 Rufe Snow Drive)
- Religious groups going door-to-door to hand out material about their church or religion are exempt from the permit requirement, along with school-age students selling items for school fundraisers or nonprofit youth groups. Individuals going door-to-door who are candidates for a public office are also exempt from the permit requirement
Many residents have asked to apply requirements to the distribution of door-to-door printed advertisements, such as door hangers or hand bills. However, the city's legal counsel has stated that the city is prohibited from regulating this type of conduct.
Residents are urged to contact the police department if they observe any violation of the Solicitor's Permit Ordinance by calling the NETCOM center at 817-743-4522.