On April 21, 2009, the Keller City Council passed the Guidelines and Criteria for the Old Town Keller (OTK) Façade Improvement Matching Grant Program to encourage Old Town Keller business owners to make façade improvements to enhance and revitalize the area.
The program provides matching grants in the form of a reimbursement of up to $5,000 for eligible improvements to facades in Old Town Keller. Participants are eligible for up to one grant in a twelve (12) month period from completion of previous grant. The City of Keller building permit fees related to the facade improvements will be waived for applicants meeting the $5,000 match threshold.
- Must be an existing building located in the Old Town Keller Overlay District (see Map of the Old Town Keller Overlay District below).
- Eligible facade improvements shall not begin before the application is considered by City Council.
- Improvements must comply with all applicable state and local code requirements.
- Improvements must comply with the Old Town Keller Overlay District design standards (see Unified Development Code Old Town Keller Overlay District Standards below).
- Improvements must be on the exterior and visible to the public (street, parking area, or public park).
- Buildings with multiple tenants are eligible for one (1) grant in a twelve (12) month period from completion of previous grant.
Buildings being utilized as a residence within the Old Town Keller Overlay District are not eligible for this program unless the building is being converted from a residential use to a retail use.
Eligible Improvements Include (but are not limited to):
- Façade facelift: Painting, trim work, cladding
- Front porch additions and enhancements
- New or enhanced attached signage and/or awnings
- Detached signage
- Exterior lighting
- New storefronts
- Window replacement and window framing
- Hardscape improvements such as sidewalk pavers, concrete off-street parking, fencing visible to the public, and lamp posts.
Ineligible improvements include (but are not limited to):
- Interior improvements
- Any facades not visible to the public (street, parking area, or park)
- Roof repair
- New buildings or new building additions other than exterior additions such as porches and entry features
- Plantings or landscaping
- Outdoor furnishings unless permanently affixed to the building
- Completed grant application signed by the applicant and the owner of the property (if different from the applicant).
- Cost Proposals: Two (2) written cost proposals from bonafide tradespeople,contractors, or suppliers. One (1) cost proposal must be from a contractor or supplier whose business is located within the City of Keller city limits (where applicable).
- Contractor Qualification: One (1) completed “Statement of Contractor’s Qualifications” form for each cost proposal. Contractors must be registered with the City of Keller.
- Exterior photo(s) of the building.
- Written description of proposal.
- Drawings or renderings of proposal.
- Submission of an application does not guarantee approval.
- All eligibility requirements must be met to be considered for the grant program.
- Only complete applications will be considered by the Keller City Council for approval. Incomplete applications which are missing required application materials will not be considered and shall expire after six (6) months. The six (6) month time period will begin on the date of the most recent staff correspondence with the applicant. A new completed application shall be submitted in order to resume activity on a grant application.
- Grants will be reviewed and considered by the Keller City Council on a first-come, first–served basis until all available grant funds have been allocated.
- Appropriate permits must be obtained prior to beginning construction.
- A Site Plan must be approved by the City for a building being converted from a residential use to a retail/office use. Please contact the Community Development Department for further information regarding the Site Plan process.
- Construction of improvements must commence within ninety (90) days of grant application approval and must be completed within one (1) year of grant application approval. The applicant may request a one (1) time thirty (30) day extension for construction commencement and a one (1) time (6) month extension to complete the project from the Economic Development Department.
- Any changes or modifications to the approved grant application shall be approved by City Council.
- Payment of the matching grant shall be in the form of a reimbursement of fifty percent (50%) of the total cost of the improvements to a maximum of five thousand dollars ($5,000).
- Payment will be made after all work is satisfactorily completed according to the terms of the approved grant application and all costs are documented with receipts and/or invoices. Payment will not be made for any work completed before the grant is considered by City Council.
- A completed W-9 Form (Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification) provided by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) will be required by the property owner prior to any payment.
- Improvements completed under the Old Town Keller Façade Improvement Matching Grant Program shall become permanent fixtures of the building and shall not be removed or altered for a period of five (5) years without the express consent of the City of Keller.
Program Case Studies:
Since the adoption of the Old Town Keller Facade Improvement Matching Grant Program, the City of Keller has provided eighteen (18) businesses with facade improvement grants to assist in the enhancement of their buildings. A document illustrating these projects is provided below.
For questions and more information about the Old Town Keller Facade Improvement Matching Grant Program, please contact the Economic Development Department: