Keller was founded 14 miles northeast of Fort Worth in 1881 by H. W. Wood, a wealthy druggist in Tarrant County. It was named for John C. Keller, a foreman on the Texas and Pacific Railroad. The Post Office was established in 1886 after it was relocated from Double Springs, located about five miles northeast of Keller.
During the subsequent years, Keller prospered as a farming community with both the railroad and State Hwy 377 as major traffic arteries. Law enforcement during these years was provided by the Tarrant County Sheriff's Department. Keller was incorporated as a city on November 16, 1955.
In the 1960's, as Keller began its rapid growth, the population of 1,350 residents demanded more professional police protection.
In the fall of 1968, the City Council adopted Ordinance 43 and on September 2nd, an official Police Department was established.
Glenn Lightford was selected as the first Chief of Police. Chief Lightford had one full-time officer, K. D. Shotwell, and one part-time officer, Louis Leroy Law, under his command. Through the years, the City added personnel and equipment as needed to meet the demands of the city.
Based on a philosophy of strong community interactions and communication, the City of Keller enjoys a low crime rate and a full-service Police Department. Services include routine patrol, traffic safety patrol, specialized youth services, a Victim Assistance program, an Explorer Post program, special events security, Neighborhood Watch program, Police Chaplain services, and many more.
|Keller Police Chiefs|
|Michael Wilson||2015 to 2019|
|Mark R. Hafner||2001 to 2015|
|William F. Griffith||1987 to 2000|
|Tom Cowan||1979 to 1987|
|Lloyd Bailey||1973 to 1979|
|Ronald Carroll||1971 to 1973|
|Glenn Lightford||1968 to 1971|